[MUD-Dev] Rooms, 3D arrays, etc.

clawrenc at cup.hp.com clawrenc at cup.hp.com
Tue May 27 10:44:47 CEST 1997

In <9705261529.829g at ami-cg.GraySage.Edmonton.AB.CA>, on 05/26/97
   at 07:54 AM, cg at ami-cg.graysage.edmonton.ab.ca (Chris Gray) said:

>[Michael H:]

>:Since we've got tons of individual characters to choose from, we could
>:come up with every terrain type we could possibly want.  This would also
>:make it easier to have natural disasters change the terrain, since it
>:would be a simple matter of changing a few characters in the overall map.

>I've done something like that in my current scenario, and in another
>one which isn't part of the main one (yet!). The idea can work not
>too bad, but I think you'll find that you *will* quickly run out of
>character types...

You can grab another 26 by using case-sensitive letters.  Another
fairly simply possibility is to use something like UTF-8 (probably
preferably over one of the UCS or Unicode codesets).  You won't get a
directly addressable array any more, but its still fairly simple and
semi-human readable.

J C Lawrence                           Internet: claw at null.net
(Contractor)                           Internet: coder at ibm.net
---------------(*)               Internet: clawrenc at cup.hp.com