[MUD-Dev] Alright... IF your gonan do DESIESE...

Adam Wiggins nightfall at user1.inficad.com
Mon May 26 21:53:05 CEST 1997

> > Hmm. My take, contrary to what you might think, is that, beyond a certain
> > point, there is no point. And modeling an exact _real_world_ sociology,
> > especially with those sort of factors, is a few notches past what I'm
> > prepared to do. I mean, what happens to the social model without the Rom
> > and the Jews (for Europe alone)? Not to mention the extracontinental
> > factors? Physics is one thing, social dynamics is quite another, thank
> > you. Too big a can of worms.
>
> Interesting. I think that many MUSHes do fairly good job at modeling
> society. In fact, it tends to be their main strength.

Absolutely.

> However, it's *very* hard to do without player cooperation and realistic
> power levels. (i.e. when one player is unkillable by 1,000,000 newbies,
> It doesn't make for social stratification).

Yes; more importantly, what do you have to *gain* from killing someone,
exactly?  Most of the time, you become a hunted criminal and outlaw.
On a mud it's a great way to get new clothing.  (Is it just me, or do
PKers resemble NYC gang members more than anything else?)

I still think it's possible to get the social interaction of a role-player
combined with the detailed game world of a roll-player.  Call me a dreamer..
but I really don't think it's that difficult.