[MUD-Dev] Re: RP thesis...

Marian Griffith gryphon at iaehv.nl
Sun May 25 22:00:17 CEST 1997

On Sun 18 May, Matt Chatterley wrote:

> > Written language makes a lot of things more interesting, too.  A smart
> > mage will scribe his spellbook completely in a language that is relatively
> > unknown, since it means other mages will find it pretty useless unless
> > they take the time to learn that language.

> Absolutely. Since we do intend on having writing, it would be more likely
> that those who can write would not write in the common, IMHO.

Common or trade language should be something like pidgin english. Only
enough words to be able to communicate but nothing fancy. And certainly
not enough complicated concepts to get into trouble with other cultures,
let along races. Something like an approved wordlist for each race.
That also cracks down nicely on the issue of OOC conversation in an
IC setting as the words for the OOC conversation simply don't exist
in the common language. <gr>

Marian
will there be loneliness ...

Rolan Choosing Talia,