[MUD-Dev] Languages

Jeff Kesselman jeffk at tenetwork.com
Sun May 25 14:46:27 CEST 1997

At 12:21 PM 5/25/97 PST8PDT, you wrote:
>:You know, I keep seeing a corollary... people who are either new to
>:programming, or have a strong background in scientific disciplines that
>:isn't backed up with college-level programming courses, tend to prefer
>:OO and C++. On the other hand, within the professional programming
>:community, everyone has a pet language...

heh., Im exactly the opposite.

I am VERY formally trained (BS-CS from University of Wisconsin @ Madison, a
fine CS school) and i am ALWAYS looking for a BETTER language.  I have yet
to be 100% satisfied with any language i've used, but i do believe they
keep gettting better...

Modula2 was better then C, C++ in SOEM ways is ebtter (and ina soem ways
worse) then Modula2, from my tastes JAVA is better for most things then C++...

I also hopwever believe  ins epcialized langauges for specialized purposes.
 ColdC is a very nice langauge for doing object-orineted server
construction, as an easy example.

What  iam ultimately lookign for is the lnaguage that will, ina reasonably
efficeint way, cost me the LEAST amougn of effrot in implementation phase.
i don't particualrly LIEK implementation pahse.. I love deisgn.. and i get
big thrill when the thing rumbles to life.  The work between then is just
drudgery Ild rather cut down on :)

JK