[MUD-Dev] Languages

Caliban Tiresias Darklock caliban at darklock.com
Sat May 24 23:31:01 CEST 1997

On Sat, 24 May 1997 16:07:36 PST8PDT, silovic at srce.hr (Miroslav Silovic)
wrote:

>> Typicly the reason C++ code ends up slower is due to mis-coding of
>> constructors by peopel who do NOT understand whats going on underneath.
>
>This is my main objection about C++: one should be able to use a language
>after reading the *specification*, not the bloody compiler source! :P :P :P

My main objection to it is the same problem I have with the Mac. You are
either a newbie, or a wizard. There is no in between. C++ is so tightly
interwoven, you have to understand ALL of it INTIMATELY before you can
expect to have any confidence that you're doing things properly. If you
don't have a deep understanding of the internals, it's almost impossible
to explain WHY things have to be done a certain way.

However, the vast majority of applications today is so outstripped by
the power of the computer, C++ is an acceptable tradeoff. We don't
normally worry overmuch about tightening inner loops, because the
system's plenty fast even if it's a little inefficient. There are
applications that need to be written, however, which will require either
that you are God-on-a-stick with C++, or that you use a more easily
optimised language that runs closer to the bare metal. Like C.

 I am here to grind your eyes harder into the miasmic bile of life; to
 show you the truth and the beauty in the whisper of steel on silk and
 the crimson scent of blood as it rises to meet the caress of a blade.