[MUD-Dev] Q's

coder at ibm.net coder at ibm.net
Sat May 24 16:22:31 CEST 1997

On 23/05/97 at 10:45 PM, Ling <K.L.Lo-94 at student.lut.ac.uk> said: >How
would I:

>Allow creators to use vi/emacs/pico from inside the mud without
>violating the security?

My own preference is not to allow this in the first place.  I do have
a very basic editor built into the system, but it has all the
complexity of a full screen EDLIN.  After that I operate on a
check-out/check-in model  I provide the item they wish as an FTP'ed
text blob, the them edit how they wish, and then auto-check it back in
upon FTP receive.  (

>Same again but for commands like ls, grep, etc, so the root of the
>directory is the mud library directory?

You're talking ssh, Kereboros wrapped rsh, or similar then if youwant
any decent security.

>Pointers welcomed.

MUD++ has made several strides in this area tho I have not followed
them in detail.

J C Lawrence                               Internet: claw at null.net
----------(*)                              Internet: coder at ibm.net