[MUD-Dev] Re: Prepositions and Parsing...

Sat May 24 14:26:48 CEST 1997

[Greg:]

:Well, in order to get away from requiring proper, natural language
:usage on the players part, you'd have to substitute something... :)
:You may even be able to build some intelligence into the paren parser
:and have it try to match the paren's (maybe with a prompt to the player
:asking if <blah> was what they really meant... but that gets back to nested
:prompts... (shrug)).  That and the parser could be built to not always need
:some of the parens.. something like..
:
:>put <object-specifier> <preposition> <object-specifier>
:
:with the ability to nest an (<o-s> <p> <o-s>) as an <object-specifier>.
:
:pretty simple, and not all that far fetched for a newbie to learn.

Oh yes, anything I did would make the parens optional. The vast majority
of commands don't need them - I look on them as an interesting and easy
(hopefully!) way to handle the few ambiguous situations that do come up.

--
Chris Gray   cg at ami-cg.GraySage.Edmonton.AB.CA