[MUD-Dev] RP thesis...

Ling K.L.Lo-94 at student.lut.ac.uk
Wed May 21 13:53:38 CEST 1997

On Tue, 20 May 1997 clawrenc at cup.hp.com wrote:

> The problem with virtual rooms, which can be handled is when players
> make a change to a virtual room which requires them to become
> permanent, or the notice something in a virtual room and refer to it
> later expecting it to be permanent.

Not necessarily.  Each time a room is created in a virtual location, seed
the random number generator with the coords of the room to be made.
Generate the room and ta-da.  Technique is used in the Elite games for
star systems and many others.  For storing the fact that objects are
dropped and what-nots, use a sparse array to handle it.

More sophisticated techniques involving fractals could be used if you have
the mathematical ability to take advantage of it.

Dunno how it'll work in practice. :P

  |    Ling				"Mental slavery,
_O_O_  Freshwater fish since 1976	 set my spirit free"