[MUD-Dev] (fwd) Re: Issues from the digests and Wout's list

Miroslav Silovic silovic at srce.hr
Wed May 21 10:55:10 CEST 1997

> In <199705190137.DAA06578 at regoc.srce.hr>, on 05/18/97
>    at 06:45 PM, silovic at srce.hr (Miroslav Silovic) said:
>
> >Errrr, you are probably wrong about it. While DIKUs are pretty much
> >all similar (this is my humble opinion, feel free to contradict), and
> >LPs, while they have more potential to diversity, still don't vary
> >too much, MOOs can be and are *wildly* modified. I've seen anything
> >from MUSE clone to DIKU close (believe it or not!).
>
> I'd argue this one.  I know many of the variant MOO's you reference.
> I also know of several LP's which stray even further from the fold.
> Examples:
>
>   LPMOO -- a very fine MOO clone coded in LPC which can run
>     almost all of LambdaCore

And rather useless, from the experience of the people who ran it
(it's several times slower than MOO, and MOO is rather slow to start
with). Still quite remarkable. :)

>   Tron -- one of the very true PK games, and very original (as a MUD)
>     within that genre.
>
>   BatMud -- Just have a look.

Well, okay, so I put my foot into my mouth. I wanted to make a point
that MOOs vary a lot, not that LPs don't.

Incidentally, I'll take a look at BatMUD - although from the first
glance, it looks way too much like 'pile up the features' sort.
(but I heard too many good things about it to resist taking a closer
look :) )

	Miro