[MUD-Dev] The limits of system

Shawn Halpenny malachai at iname.com
Mon May 19 13:09:51 CEST 1997

Jamie Norrish wrote:

> Now, the main subject: I may be misunderstanding one or two messages
> that I quickly read recently, but it seemed that the idea of coding
> was sneaking into place where I don't believe it has any right to be.
> One example given was a player character setting up a guide of
> thieves, and being able to code the place to meet, the paying of dues,
> and so forth. Now, in the case of a room, perhaps there is the
> necessity of having someone create one somewhere, if there hasn't been
> sufficient building before-hand, or if the characters modify an
> existing place. However, I am firmly opposed to the idea of the system
> of the game having anything to do with what is a social function. Take
> tithing, for example - aside from the code needed for giving objects,
> etc, there is no mechanics needed for this. The guildmaster asks, and
> is given (or not), at its barest. *This* is where interesting
> interaction comes from - setting up the guild and running it isn't a
> step towards some goal, it is part of the goal itself.

Yes, the guildmaster can ask for the tithe.  I wasn't precluding anything
of the sort.  There is no requirement that the guildmaster code up a
required tithe.  Specifically, it was the end result that I was
addressing.  The guildmaster could instead have coded up Vinnie and the
boys to come round to collect the tithe and if you don't pay up, they
break your knees.  You can make the same argument against that as
well.  But what if the guildmaster can't be around every time someone
wants to tithe?  I think there is every reason to allow coding in almost
any place it can be used, but I am not making it a requirement.  Yes,
things will already be builtin to a certain degree, but if you don't like
them, you can roll your own.

Automating something like the tithing does not detract from the social
interaction of the process at all, IMO, since now you can have people
dreaming up creative ways of circumventing the tithe code.  _This_ is the
sort of thing that I really like in the game:  using one's head to add to
or modify the social interaction (and the environment, for that matter).

> The same with martial arts belts - anyone, if they find or make one,
> can wear it, and many people familiar with the use of that symbol may
> naturally assume that the person has the skills that belt is
> associated with.

Yep.  Now you have two groups of people who have the same belts.  Half the
belts are real and half aren't.  It doesn't matter one whit to me whether
someone can tell the difference or not.  This is part of the mystery
that'll make one think when you're about to try and pick a fight with one
of them.  If the real belts have some special code attached to them to
allow the wearer to do who-knows-what, fine.

--
Shawn Halpenny

"Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris"
                            - Latin for All Occasions