[MUD-Dev] Re: Role-playing [was Re: several messages]

coder at ibm.net coder at ibm.net
Sat May 17 17:56:10 CEST 1997

On 15/05/97 at 07:19 PM, Nathan Yospe <yospe at hawaii.edu> said: >On Wed, 14
May 1997 clawrenc at cup.hp.com wrote:

>:We've debated this area of how or even if intelligence should be
>:represented inside the game world.  My own view is that it shouldn't
>:even be touched.  Leave that to the humans.  The concept of the system
>:attempting to represent anything more than the base physical
>:capabilities of the character body in question gives me the heebies.

>Whereas I enthusiasticly embrace it, to the point that your character
>will begin to react instinctively in key with their nature, unless you
>assert concious control and restrain them. And even sometimes then. If
>you are enraged enough, and a berzerker, trying to calm down isn't going
>to do you a hell of a lot of good. ...

Yup.  As was mentioned in that thread, this runs stongly against my grain.
It would bug me continuously and without end.

>Training yourself for perception helps quite a bit, and often your
>descriptions of the world are relative to your _emotional_ perceptions,
>to the point that racially specific descriptions can be imbeded into
>text.

You see here is where I find it unbearably presumptuous.  If I am
sufficiently involved in the game then I will have my own emotional
reactions to events, and will behave accordingly.  Having the system
dictate what my emotional state and areactions are seems akin to mental
invasion.

J C Lawrence                               Internet: claw at null.net
----------(*)                              Internet: coder at ibm.net