[MUD-Dev] Re: Role-playing [was Re: several messages]

clawrenc at cup.hp.com clawrenc at cup.hp.com
Tue May 13 09:54:52 CEST 1997

In <Pine.LNX.3.96.970511212615.930N-100000 at mpc.dyn.ml.org>, on
05/11/97
   at 01:48 PM, Matt Chatterley <root at mpc.dyn.ml.org> said:

>On Sun, 11 May 1997, Adam Wiggins wrote:

>> [big dumb ogre types 'look':]
>> You see here a big pile of coins.
>>
>> [human types 'look':]
>> You see here several hundred coins.
>>
>> [Rain Man types 'look':]
>> You see here 327 coins, one of which has a small scratch on its underside.

We've debated this area of how or even if intelligence should be
represented inside the game world.  My own view is that it shouldn't
even be touched.  Leave that to the humans.  The concept of the system
attempting to represent anything more than the base physical
capabilities of the character body in question gives me the heebies.

J C Lawrence                           Internet: claw at null.net
(Contractor)                           Internet: coder at ibm.net
---------------(*)               Internet: clawrenc at cup.hp.com