[MUD-Dev] Re: generic objects, behaviors

Sun May 11 20:11:45 CEST 1997

[Jeff K, following up to me:]
:At 12:30 PM 5/11/97 PST8PDT, you wrote:
:>Personally, I wanted to be able to do full on-line building and programming.
:>The LP-way of deleting and reloading things seemed quite clumsy, so
:>fully dynamic was the way I went.
:
:LOL!
:
:And Cold already had that adn when i designed MY version I took it out.
:Im much too used to the decent programmign toosl available in the OS
:nevironment to be happy trying to program in ANy MUD environment Ive seen.
:Im happy to writ it externally and then "load" it itno the system.  teh one
:thing i Do like 9and my one complaint with the JAVA VM) is I like to be
:able to reload definitiosn of obejcts at run-time without shutting it all
:down.

Why shouldn't you have your full OS tools available? My client can call
out to an external editor for editing code, etc. You want emacs, you've
got it. When you are doing an entire scenario, you do it with source
files - not all on line. That way, you can make major changes in a
reasonable fashion. So, you can use 'grep', 'sed', 'perl', whatever turns
your crank. Having full on-line programming available doesn't mean that
you *have* to do everything that way. It sure helps debugging though -
you can edit a routine online and try it out, without having to rebuild
the whole system. You can also fixup minor boo-boos to check that stuff
does work properly after those fixups. Best of both worlds!

--
Chris Gray   cg at ami-cg.GraySage.Edmonton.AB.CA