Role-playing [was Re: several messages]

Matt Chatterley root at mpc.dyn.ml.org
Sun May 11 11:20:17 CEST 1997

On Sat, 10 May 1997, Jeff Kesselman wrote:

[Mass snippage]

> great topic. :)  IMO there is a huge amount one can learn from well judged
> traditional roleplay games. ''course sicne i've been playign 'em on and off
> since 1975 and the original printing of D&D maybe my point of view is
> skewed... ;)
>
> Question is, where to begin??

Here's a good place to start an RP thread, with an age-old crisis for
those running online RPGs (which focus on Roleplaying a character rather
than anything else).

How do you spur more RP?

There are a number of 'tactics' employed by people to do this, some work
better than others, for various reasons.

I won't comment right now, since I don't have time to commit to a lengthy
spiel right now, but I'd be interested in hearing what others have to say
(I have quite a lot of experience in this precise field, from heading such
an RPG project for a year).

Regards,
	-Matt Chatterley
	http://user.itl.net/~neddy/index.html
"Fishing is complete and utter madness."  -Spike Milligan