[MUD-Dev] Introduction

Marian Griffith gryphon at iaehv.nl
Fri May 9 15:37:26 CEST 1997

As Chris Lawrence requested a quick introduction of me.

My name is Marian Griffith and I'm one of those roleplayers he mentioned.
I'm afraid I will be completely unable to make any sense in coding dis-
cussions, apparently I have this real talent in being unable to understand
computers. I can use them if I'm carefull about it ;)
I do enjoy roleplaying games, and I like muds that go beyond the simple
hack and slash that is most common. The reason why I like muds is simple,
they have things happening with or without players taking action, unlike
the majority of mushes and the like, where you basically have nothing
going on unless two or more players are willing to act it out.
Of course the reality of most muds is that nothing much happens their
either, at least not in the way of roleplaying. Players assemble parties
and go out hunting equipment and monsters and that's about it.
On of the things I've been hoping to achieve is encourage somebody who can
actually program a computer into creating a game that enforces roleplaying
simply by acting like a real, living, world in which the players are only
one part. And a part that can affect the entire world only in a minor way.
As one way of achieving this I'm working on a webpage, with a couple of
friends, where I collect ideas and links that people who enjoy roleplaying
might find of interest. It has a collection of roleplaying oriented game
ideas that is called the overlord project. It isn't meant to become a real
game, but more like a source of (not so) original ideas for those who are
looking to make a game that is different from every other mud. If somebody
is interested mail me, I don't want this to be an ad for this webpage, just
an explanation what my interest in game design is.

marian
will there be loneliness ...

Rolan Choosing Talia,
Arrows of the Queen, by Mercedes Lackey