[MUD-Dev] Comments on the DB layer

Wed May 7 08:00:21 CEST 1997

[Chris L:]
:Now to go argue with myself and see if I really want some form of
:query support for the DB.  The appeal of having an admin able to do
:something like:
:
:  Show me all the users who killed mobile XXX in the last week,
:  cross referenced with a list of all the weapons and spells
:  they used in their successful attacks.
:
:is undeniable.

Hmm. Methinks you are stepping beyond the bounds of what most people would
think of as "a database to support a MUD system". To do this you would
have to never actually delete any database entity, so that all of the
historical states are preserved. Your database would explode quickly!
The next step of course is to not discard records produced by threads
failing and being rescheduled - then you can find out how often you are
getting "update conflicts" in your system.

--
Chris Gray   cg at ami-cg.GraySage.Edmonton.AB.CA