Greetings. :)

claw at null.net claw at null.net
Mon Mar 31 08:51:43 CEST 1997

On 29/03/97 at 09:10 AM, Michael Hohensee
<michael at sparta.mainstream.net> said:

>	After diddling around with C for half a year, I started to write
>what I call AeMud.  The acronym stands for Arbitrarily Expandable
>MUD.   And, as you may have guessed, the idea was to make it so that
>new things  would be easy to add.

I've not actually assigned a name to my server.  Way back in the dawns
of time it was named the "Black Hat MUD Server" due to my penchant for
fedoras, but that only lasted for the first couple weeks of
development.  Since then it was called "Murkle" for all of about a
week, and then nothing.  I guess I ought to name it some day.

>	A way of treating all objects (players, creatures, rooms, etc) as
>if they were the same for certain common uses. (common-use being
>defined  as anything you want everyone to be able to do.)

Hehn.  I actually make no distinction among players, mobiles, rooms,
objects, utility objects, etc.  There are just no unique object types.
They're all the same to the server.

>	Some of the cute things I've done with it are to make some really
>interactive portals, and liquids that spill out of containers.

How do you handle your liquids?  I have liquids which just do ajacent
space counts ala "There are X units of liquid here, and Y units over
there, to even things out X-Y/2 need to move..." etc.  This often
resulted in one unit ripples, but was prerty tame for handling
stream-type flows.

>	I've mostly stopped working on it these days, due to less time  and
>lack of ideas (sigh, burnout is dull.)

That won't last here.

J C Lawrence                               Internet: claw at null.net
----------(*)                              Internet: coder at ibm.net