Mixture

Jon A. Lambert jlsysinc at ix.netcom.com
Sat Mar 29 20:22:00 CET 1997

> On 27/03/97 at 10:27 PM, Adam Wiggins <nightfall at inficad.com> said: >
> [JCL]:
> >> I see no reason that the system should ever report stats for things
> >> like dexterity, strength and such (aside: I can see no possible excuse
> >> for an intelligence stat.).

Ahh the intelligence stat.  Controversy still rages in the paper & pencil
RPGs over this.  Some prefer to not have this stat and assume their
character inherits the players intelligence stat since it is difficult in game
terms for a GM to arbitrate matters.  Situations can occur like:  "Bob that is
an altogether brilliant solution to the puzzle at hand, however you character
Bubba the troll has the intelligence of a 2 week old rat snake and such a
solution is basically beyond his grasp."  There are others who demand an
intelligence stat in order to effectively roleplay their character to the point
where they will intentionally overlook what may be obvious courses of
action from a player perspective.  Whether or not you make use of this
stat does depends on what you are trying to simulate.  Either way its a
very rough measurement tool.  I have seen this stat broken out into as many
as 4 different stats in some games or not used at all.