Greetings. :)

Michael Hohensee michael at sparta.mainstream.net
Sat Mar 29 09:10:48 CET 1997

Hello.

	I'm Michael Hohensee...and...I'm a MUD-coder.
	*cue to say "Hi Michael!" In a coders-anonymous club style*

	I started hacking away at a copy of Merc 2.2 about three years
back, but then decided that it wasn't capable of what I wanted it to do
without a complete overhaul.  Since this didn't really appeal to me, I
decided that it might be more fun to write a MUD from scratch.

	After diddling around with C for half a year, I started to write
what I call AeMud.  The acronym stands for Arbitrarily Expandable MUD.
And, as you may have guessed, the idea was to make it so that new things
would be easy to add.

	It took me a year to write it, at which point I kinda dropped it
for a while.  If you're interested in what I did to it, here's a brief
list of the cool stuff.

	A way of treating all objects (players, creatures, rooms, etc) as
if they were the same for certain common uses. (common-use being defined
as anything you want everyone to be able to do.)

	A spiffy and mostly efficient memory-allocation/recycling system.
(Which may actually be kinda pointless, but it was interesting to code.)

	A command queue that is used equally by players and
computer-driven objects.

	Some of the cute things I've done with it are to make some really
interactive portals, and liquids that spill out of containers.

	I've mostly stopped working on it these days, due to less time
and lack of ideas (sigh, burnout is dull.)

	Anyway, about me:

	I'm now 17, I started coding AeMud when I was 15.  I'm a
homeschooler who was self-educated for my high-school years, and am now
taking a few courses at the local community college.  I like to fence,
and shoot long-range, highpower rifles.

Well, I guess that's an intro.  I figure I'll lurk for a bit to get a
feel for whats going on, but then start posting. :)

Michael Hohensee
michael at mainstream.net