Resets and repops

Adam Wiggins nightfall at inficad.com
Thu Mar 27 23:09:56 CET 1997

[JC, on mob-reset by children]
> Precisely.  While I probably won't go to the infant level, it allows
> mobiles and characters to age fairly uniformly.  Thus you can watch
> you characters (and ememies characters) age and become decrepit, or
> work to rescue them via the appropriate rejuveninators.  "You want to
> be young?  It will cost you!"  This in turn adds another twist to the
> mana wars.  Now you can have objects, spells, etc which accellerate or
> decellerate aging.  You could even link the mana system to the aging
> system such that mana use accellerates aging and (something else) acts
> as the restorative.
>
> This raises the spectre of a whole new insidious form of warfare:
> accellerating the death of your enemies thru aging.  Along with mana
> attacks such as dropping an invisible mana sink (eats mana endlessly)
> in their inventory, this could get really interesting

Heh, there was some cheesey fantasy book I read a long time ago where
the only 'effect' of spellcasting was that it aged you.  So at one point
when the demon invasion occured, the main spellcaster guy stood around
casting nonstop fireballs at the bad guys, all day every day for two weeks.
Of course, at the *end* of this time, he had aged about a dozen years...
One idea we mulled over (but rejected) was making the timespan very short.
Ie, one RL month ~= 80 years on the mud.  Thus you make characters, advance
very quickly, and then age into range of death all in a fairly short period.
This makes players both less attached to their characters (a good thing,
IMO), and makes the jack-of-all trades thing no longer an issue - there
just isn't enough *time* in one lifetime to learn it all.  Plus you get
cool things like aging spells, fountains of youth, and racial choices based
on age.  Ie you've got a race like gnome, who's stats all suck, but they
live twice as long as anyone else, which would actually be quite useful.

> >> :Handling minor details like closing opened doors, re-locking chests,
> >> :and resetting traps and the like is similarly handled, with the
> >> :secondary event either doing it directly ("A sudden strangely cold
> >> :breeze slams the dtor shut"), to the animation and trekking of a
> >> :work-horse mobile to the door/trap/whatever to reset it "manually" (cf
> >> :MirrorWorlds "man in a white lab coat")..
> >>
> >> Ugh. Lets just have it happen when no one is looking. Incidentally, I have
>
> >Agreed.
>
> What about when someone is always looking?

Uh, it never resets? *boggle*
Is this a bad thing?  I don't think so.  Thus, if you want a door closed
and locked, it will just 'do it' automatically when no one is around, but
a mob from the zone will actually have to come by and lock it if they
are around.

> >> recall bob
> >You think back to your memories of Bob the male human.
> >You will cherish his memory. R.I.P.
>
> This gets messy as the Bob object no longer exists, so your name can't
> resolve any more...hurm.

Uhhhh...your memory node has something to do with the actual object?
If they aren't around, you only need the info contained in the memory
node...all else is irrelevant.