Mixture

Adam Wiggins nightfall at inficad.com
Thu Mar 27 22:40:50 CET 1997

> > Yeah...I always wonder what would happen if a mud did this...you can see
> > the players that will log on and say, "Dammit!  I made five Kzin warriors,
> > who are supposed to be really strong, but they all had 'average' strengths!!
> > *smirk*
>
> Hmm... So should I say:  You can lift 500 lbs for 2 seconds, instead?

Way too technical.  I'm not sure what the solution to this is - I actually
think that the stat-by-race display is pretty good, especially if you
put in a 'newbie note' that such is the case.

> Then I'll get some people asking 'Is over the shoulder or just normal
> picking up?'.  Just pray I get intelligent players (another plus when
> playing on DartMUD).

Well, the idea is that by making your mud a certain way, you attract those
kinds of players.  If your mud is complex, rich, and complicated, you will
get players that desire those sorts of things.

> > > The current plan atm is to create this universe (all 3 solar systems),
> > > then keep working on it and making it more and more detailed, as
> > > intersystem travel is uncommon, maybe even have each solar system on a
> > > different server (then I could have really complex systems :).  Once the
> > > player population reaches something sizeable to abuse, I was
> > > hoping to stage lots of special one off creator run quests.  These little
> > > quests lead up to one great big finale involving some glorious plot
> > > endings.  And...then...I'd close the mud down and work on a sequel.
> >
> > Cool.  Sounds kind of MUX-ish, actually.
>
> MUX?  I've only ever been to one and that was just a talker.  What are
> they like in general?  Actually, it's a shame how all mud drivers tend to
> be associated with a certain genre but I suppose mud drivers tend to be
> written for a certain purpose in mind anyway.  I use my mud driver at home
> as a replacement shell. :)  Come to think of it, LPC has been turned into
> a scripting language.

I'm actually not _real_ familar with the MUX/MUSH/MOO line of things, but
I know a lot of people that are into them.  One friend of mine played
Shadowrun MUSH for quite a while - he'd log in at a certain time every
night, and all the people involved in his storyline would log on then as
well.  They'd all have been thinking about the things they wanted to do,
and would start doing stuff within the storyline, which was basically
DM'd by the admin for that storyline.  If combat is desired by two parties,
the whole mud 'pauses' as an admin oversees playing out of combat.  Death
is somewhat rare, given the amount of time people put into character creation.
Most of that game was concentrated on gaining something called Karma, which I
never quite understood what it did exactly.
Basically it ends up being like a pen-and-paper RPG over the internet.
Cool in certain ways - with human DMs, things can get quiet a bit more
interesting - but the downside is the same as that with a pen and paper RPG,
you have to have people around at the same time as you to play and more
importantly dedicated admin who create and then oversee the story's execution.
This is great but my time availibilty is too eratic to either admin or
play something like this, plus it gets away from my number one desire which is
a consistant world.  (Hard for humans, especially many of them, to be dead
on consistant, while it is quite easy for a computer that is programmed well.)

> About those terminal codes:  How come in tintin, I don't get scrollback
> (if I slid the slider bar on the side of the window) but in tf I do?  This
> is on a Mac.  Anyone torn them apart to see what codes they use?  I

I assume you someone compiled tintin to work on the mac or there is a
Macintosh distribution of tintin...in that case I'd say it's because tintin
doesn't support any sort of windowing functionality.  It's designed
for a character-based system.  Now if you were using a Mac-based telnet
program (in conjunction with PPP) or a Mac terminal program to connect
to a UNIX system, which was then running tintin, your scrollbars should
work fine.

> personally use tintin coz it's smaller and I still use a client to switch
> between several muds and for that handy speedwalking facility.  But I
> don't use tintin's split function because I can't scroll back to see what
> happened.  So I thought you guys might wanna keep this in mind, a recall
> function like in tf would be extremely handy for players (it will, trust
> me!).

We have a command history, but storing things that scroll by on
the players screen may be a bit beyond our capabilities.  Certainly a good
client could do this, or more likely your windowing system (such as
xterm on an X Windows box).