Resets and repops

Thu Mar 27 06:58:01 CET 1997

:>You wonder whatever happened to your good old pal Bob...
:
:This gets messy as the Bob object no longer exists, so your name can't
:resolve any more...hurm.

Very similar to handling the use of words like 'it':

    Drop the book into the incinerator then read it.

[I've been thinking about supporting 'it'].
Currently I have a server function 'It()' that returns the object in the
current command, but is reset between commands. The above is actually
two commands, so I need to save the value. Not clearing the variable is
no good because it points to a now-deleted object. Pointing to it prevents
the total deletion of the objection, but incinerating it will have removed
all of its properties, so its effectively gone. My thinking is to remember
just the name of the object, and try to re-reference using that name.
Then, I'd have to have special cases in most verbs to notice that the
unreferenceable object came from 'it', and say something like "You no
longer have the book" instead of "You have no book". Ick. Perhaps something
like this is needed for remembered references.

--
Chris Gray   cg at ami-cg.GraySage.Edmonton.AB.CA