Resets and repops

claw at null.net claw at null.net
Wed Mar 26 14:45:12 CET 1997

On 22/03/97 at 09:23 AM, Nathan Yospe <yospe at hawaii.edu> said: >On
Fri, 21 Mar 1997 claw at null.net wrote:

>: Hehn.  I like coming up with ideas that break models.  The
>: Crytalline Tree is one we should probably revisit.

>Hmmm. Easilly avoided as a problem, seeing as I already have a PC
>species made of steel and silicon. Anything can be constructed of any
>material, but it then obeys the rules of that material.

That wasn't the problem.  The problem was that Bubba was already in
the CT, having arrived there by whatever means, and now finds himself
tooheavy for the tree (ie it will break).  The problem is that the
change which makes him too heavy for the tree can be extremely
indirect, such as an object that he is carrying state changes, and
sensing and responding to that change by the CT.

>You share, you gotta expect we're gonna snatch. *grin* Besides, have
>you never adopted one of our ideas? (If he claims no, I'm gonna be
>insulted.)

>:Actually if I do go for the full 3D graphical business (and dynamic
>:VRML is speeding up apace), I've been thinking about stealing the
>:coloured mana concept from Magic: the Gathering.  It should add a
>:nice touch of flavour to the system, especially if I also keep the
>:sign concept.

>*Grin* I had this in an early model of my Graphical platform... but
>decided in the long run that it added an element of cheesiness.

Yeah, I don't really like the binding of colours to land type sources.
However the concept of differentiation of mana into colours, and the
requirement for different colour sets by different magical operations
I think shows a lot of promise.

J C Lawrence                               Internet: claw at null.net
----------(*)                              Internet: coder at ibm.net