mud grammar

Nathan Yospe yospe at hawaii.edu
Mon Mar 17 18:52:35 CET 1997

On Mon, 17 Mar 1997 claw at null.net wrote:

:On 12/03/97 at 09:14 AM, Nathan Yospe <yospe at hawaii.edu> said: >I use ACE
:wrappers, with a telnet implementation on top of
:>them.
:
:I was hoping soneome here would use ACE.  I've been buried in working thru
:OSE again to see how it compares to OpenClass and (soon) RogueWave's STL.
:ACE's lack of docs has been offputting.

I've had some problems with OpenClass... Not sure about RogueWave's STL,
or what use an STL (is it an STL, as in the Standard Template Library
implementation?) would be in threads/sockets...

:What do you think of ACE?  Good?  Bad?

Well, its a little large for practicality... I'm trying to figure out how
to safely export the desired components... it has a lot of very nice
features... shared memory, semaphores, importation and exportation of ACE
components... it tends to be a touch unweildy, though not as bad as other
things I've seen... I think its main failing is the lack of segmentation..
not al lbad, unless you really just want _that_ part, and not the whole
damned thing... It would be a great thing if I owned the whole system, and
had control of what was being programmed... though that would sort of
defeat the purpose... I'm starting to consider actually writing my own
wrappers for the features I need... I already have a nice memory manager
of my own, a sort of integrated lazy copy mechanism and reference tracker.
Garbage collection, essentially. Without the overhead of Java's threaded
garbage collector... this is a multi section allocation block reuser,
allocating blocks of 512 kB... I prefer it to the one in ACE, so I'm not
gonna use ACE for that... and I kinda _like_ Socket++ for the sockets...
so all ACE really ended up getting me was threads... which is going to be
a tough nut to crack writing my own wrappers if I give up on ACE.

  /_  / / ) /_  /_) / ) /| /| / /\            First Light of a Nova Dawn
 /   / / \ /_  /_) / \ /-|/ |/ /_/            Final Night of a World Gone
Nathan F. Yospe - University of Hawaii Dept of Physics - yospe at hawaii.edu