Just a bit of musing

Jon A. Lambert jlsysinc at ix.netcom.com
Thu Mar 13 00:46:57 CET 1997

Asymetric Multi Processing has been around for some time and is present
in most Unixes, OS/2, and NT 3.51.

A little research revealed the following:
Symetric Multi Processing is available in AIX 4.1, OS/2 Warp server (as of October?),
Digital's Alpha Unix 4.0b and NT 4.0.

I am sure there are others.

No need to be suprised, we are describing essentially the same thing but
from a different perspective.  My description being the poorer one.
Some kernal work in both systems can only take place on one CPU at a time in
an AMP implementation.  Granularity does vary from OS to OS.

I guess in my view, unless the OS can execute in its entirety simultaneously
on multiple CPUs it is an AMP implementation.

In any event, this is a pretty moot point for me.  At least regarding my mud
server design.  ;-)