Issues from the digests and Wout's list

coder at ibm.net coder at ibm.net
Mon Mar 3 21:13:01 CET 1997

On 03/03/97 at 12:13 PM, alexo at europa.com (Alex Oren) said:

>Hello Guys.

>First, there was some merit in the digest system.
>ChrisL, do you think you can implement something similar?

Err.  Yes-ish.  THere's a strong possiblity that I may move over to a less
homegrown list software (translation: its a supported product (still REXX
tho!).  This will however take some effort and more importantly time I
just don't have right now.

If its going to happen, it will not be sooner than 2 - 3 weeks from now.

>Second, I think that it is fitting that the ones that have working
>systems will post their current design description for the benefit of the
>rest of us.

<sigh>

Err, anyone feel willing to shime in for me?  With the time I have right
now I'd just have to cut'n'paste from the old list anyhows...

>I know that C&C, Spoofs, Watchers, Affects/affects, etc. have been beaten
>to death in the previous (Wout's) incarnation of this list, but some of
>the later participants might benefit from a concise summary.

<groan>

Okay, I'll try and whip something up -- probably this weekend.

>Also, there were some yet unfulfilled promises, like:

>And a mention of a global mob AI (IIRC).

That was a Nathan thang AFAIR.

>Third, Some issues from the digests quietly died with the move to
>ChrisL's list.

>Some of the discussions that (IMHO) were left unfinished were:
>
>1) The combat system.
>* Limb based combat.
>* Staged combat (scripts).
>} > By default chop at Bubba's legs with the shield.  But, if Bubba swings
>}   at my head, buck and stab at him with the sword.  If Bubba attacks my
>}   legs, jump clear while smashing his head with the shield.  If Bubba
>}   attacks my middle or arms, block with the shield and stab his legs with
>}   the sword.

I need to review my design anyways -- the round time for reasonable play
was taking over 20 seconds for a decent sized melee.  It voided the
question into "Who had coded the best combat packages?" vs "Who controlled
their combat the most skillfully?"  That's precisely the sort of
client/trigger idiocy I wanted to avoid coding into the server side.

>2) Namespaces.
>* Allowing players to name one another.
>* Introduction systems.
>* The "familiar face" element and remembering/forgetting names. * Naming
>objects and exits.

Naming of rooms as I recall was also giving us fun fits.

>3) Skills and skill trees.

Has anyone else here looked carefully at Legend's system (I posted their
summary to the list didn't I?).  Possibly one of the best discussions of
the design and implementation of a skill system that actually works.

>4) Rumors.
>* Decaying rumors.
>* "Alerting authorities".

Also propagation of rumours out of area, out of context, and to the
disinterested, as well as reactions to received rumours (accurate or not),
and intelligently *BAD* transmission of rumours over distance.

>5) Containers and grouping.
>* Handling different yet similar objects.
>* Groups of people/mobs.
>* "Piles of junk".
>* Referring to specific items/individuals in a group.

Yup.  The last thing we were stuck on was grouping identical appearing
objects which were in fact grossly different in actual fact (usually via
spoofs).

>6) Global mob AI.

Nathan Yospe again...

J C Lawrence                               Internet: claw at null.net