Just a bit of musing

Dmitri Kondratiev dima at paragraph.com
Mon Mar 3 02:12:36 CET 1997

At 10:21 01.03.97 MST, Chris Gray wrote:
>How much bandwidth would it take to send over the descriptions that VRML
>needs to create the images? How much work would it be for a builder to
>setup those descriptions everywhere they are needed? I see those as the
>big questions here.

Only newly built things need to be send to each player. Client can get other
stuff that hasn't changed from it's local cache. Cache contents can be
compared with world model on the server, every time client logs in to it or
new objects are created by other players. Similar to the way web browser
verifies documents in its cache with the ones on the server. Thus only
incremental changes are sent from server to client as soon as they appear in
the world. Besides server can send compressed VRML. If some VRML browsers
understand gzip-ed VRML, why MUD client can't do the same ?

Dmitri Kondratiev
dima at paragraph.com
102401.2457 at compuserve.com
http://aldan.paragraph.com