Just a bit of musing

GnomesHome at aol.com GnomesHome at aol.com
Sun Mar 2 11:14:50 CET 1997

Ever thought of sending graphics in a similar manner to how WWW engines work?
 Send a small stream outlining points of interest, but then build up to a
full picture over time, if they stay there long enough?  Hard to do, but not
impossible (the server has to do a lot of work to determine if the image is
available to the client, how far along the previous rendition was when the
room was last visited, and other considerations)

In the past, when I've been "lurking", reading everyones contributions, there
seems to be a lot of emphasis on making things more realistic (unique, I
suppose, which is good), but it seems to me what is often overlooked is the
"fun" factor.  It's a game.  With approximations, because without them, it
would be like real life, and not a lot of fun (how many feel their life is
THAT much fun?  If you say "yes" <blurgh!>, then what are you doing here
then? <g>)

>From the standpoint of a player, potential coder, and an active MUD sysop (no
groans fromt he back, please!!) the make and break of any open-ended game,
such as a MUD is, is its fun factor.  People won't want to play it, or work
on it, if ultimately it proves too much hard work, and not enough fun (look
at Avalon sometime.)  I always felt that sacrifices often have to be made, to
provide entertainment to players (only reason to write a MUD - it's hard
work, but if you get it right, the players enjoy it, and it gives a high like
none other).

Sure, graphics look nice, and sounds add atmosphere, and lots of unique
features add to that "WOW!" factor, but at what price?  Hell, I wrote my
first MUD in DCL on a DEC MicroVAX (that's an interpreted operating system
language, much like DOS is for the PC) ... 9 locations, 9 items (4 weapons
and 5 shields) where the only purpose was to go and kill other players.
 Simple commands, simple descriptions, but people still remember it because
it was fun.  But it was this attempt that made me decide I love MUDs in their
entirety. Designing, coding, admin - everything.  I live to MUD (yes, sad but
true - I only work to pay my bills [mainly phone, since I'm actually in the
UK])

Doh! Excuse the lengthy dissertation - I always tend to be long-winded.  It's
the roleplayer in me ...

Orlando.