[MUD-Dev] Level abstractions - Realism vs Game Issues

Caliban Tiresias Darklock caliban at darklock.com
Sun Jun 29 10:44:13 CEST 1997

On Fri, 27 Jun 1997 22:07:31 PST8PDT, "Jon A. Lambert"
<jlsysinc at ix.netcom.com> wrote:

>   I prefer to store the result of all actions in the form of a point
>tally (XPs).  At a point-in-time the character will receive enough
>of these points to advance (a level).  At this point a character
>may "develop" the character (resource management, as someone pointed
>out)  Sounds pretty much standard so far.
>
>   However, it will take an extremely long time to advance a level in my
>game should one pursue the game only in this way.  There is a severe
>declining-balance award for repetition of actions.

I like the idea of doing away with levels entirely, and instead using an
array of skills. I also like these skills to increase with practice, but
through experience points. In other words:

	You use a skill: you get an XP.
	You succeed: you get another XP.
	That XP is applied to that skill.
	When the XP applied to a skill is equal to the skill's level,
		the skill goes up by one point.
	When the skill is at its maximum level, the XP instead goes into
		a surplus XP pool.
	The surplus XP pool is used to buy new skills that one does not
		have, as well as to increase base statistics.

Someone may point out, what about hit points or mana? These concepts, I
feel, are not specifically relevant (I have other ideas on them), but
they can also be increased like any other statistic when a player uses
surplus XP. However, let me point out the following ideas about mana and
hit points:

	Hit points are static. You have X hit points plus your usual
	constitution bonus, period. Your additional ability to survive
	comes purely from skills like dodge, parry, and increased damage

	from weapon skills and multiple attacks.

	Mana is irrelevant. You cast a spell, and that spell's skill
	drops to 0. Depending on the difficulty of the spell, it can
	regain power quickly or slowly, sort of a spell level. As a
	rough guideline, every X seconds (X being the level the spell
	is currently gained at) you regain your intelligence or wisdom
	rating in the skill for that spell.

These are off the top of my head, of course, and I'm sleep deprived. I'd
like to hear any feedback people have on this, in any case.

 I am here to grind your eyes harder into the miasmic bile of life; to
 show you the truth and the beauty in the whisper of steel on silk and
 the crimson scent of blood as it rises to meet the caress of a blade.