[MUD-Dev] Levels and XP

Matt Chatterley root at mpc.dyn.ml.org
Sat Jun 28 10:53:12 CEST 1997

On Fri, 27 Jun 1997, Huibai wrote:

> : Martin Keegan spake:
> : Moreoever, the muds with N classes/races (where N is large)
> : tend to have very bland systems, where class/race is just a
> : stat modifier instead of permeating one's existence within the mud.
>
> I have decided that 7 races each with 3 classes is plenty (though
> 3 of the races have 2 classes only).  Anything more, and I would
> run completely out of _good_ ideas on what their distinctions are.

Yeah. The other issue of course is player volume. If you have 20 players
on at a time, and 20 races, you'll (if the world were perfect) one player
in each race on at once.

If racial hostilities and such are encouraged, thats not going to be much
fun for anyone. :)

Making races fundamentally different is hard, making them subtly different
is easy (resistances, responses to temperature, healing rates, etc..
little game tweaks). Building in quirks, and adjusting themes to allow
them, and so forth.. is much, much more challenging.

Regards,
	-Matt Chatterley
	http://user.itl.net/~neddy/index.html
"He can't stop us, we're on a mission from Glod!" - Soul Music (Pratchett)