[MUD-Dev] Mob AI

Fri Jun 27 07:50:51 CEST 1997

[Brandon C:]
:  One idea I had for AI was to have a "Reaction system" for pc's and npc's
:alike, that when certain conditions were met, the system sent a short
:message telling them what was up.  So, say like you had a pc that was
:adicted to alchol (through character generation or something), and he
:hadn't had a drink for say two days, the reaction system would then begin
:with messages like, "You sure could use a drink about now." then if you
:continue to ignore your "adiction" the messages would get more insistant
:until finally either yo uact on them, or the computer acts for you with
:some default action.  Now, this is sort of a simple example, but imagine
:if, a character with an adiction, also had an event that would stress
:him, like say a phobia.  Now, you have the problem of wanting to get
:drunk every time yo uencounter your phobia.  When applied to npc's, the
:system would govern their reactions, depending on their personality and
:flaws... All this stuff could be applied to any part of the pc that should
:not be in direct control of the player at all time, subconcious,
:telepathic suggestions, addictions, etc.

Interesting idea for NPC's, but I think I would leave it alone for PC's.
It doesn't sound like it would be too hard, once the system has the
background concepts to handle it. In this case, you have to have proper
eating and drinking implemented before it makes sense.

--
Chris Gray   cg at ami-cg.GraySage.Edmonton.AB.CA