[MUD-Dev] Integrating PK

Nathan Yospe yospe at hawaii.edu
Thu Jun 26 22:04:02 CEST 1997

On Wed, 25 Jun 1997, Shawn Halpenny wrote:

:I agree.  People are much quicker to accept a rule if an example has
:been made.  This is an unfortunate but necessary occurrence, I think.
:Once something has happened and action taken, you've set a precedent
:which can easily be referenced in the future should something similar
:happen again.  Therein lies the importance of documenting your
:rulings, as it were, and making them publicly available to your
:players.  This is not as useful if the rules being broken are already
:in place, in which case its a matter of meting out suitable
:punishment or what not, but it goes a long way in establishing
:guidelines for the grey-area issues--and I've found there are always
:a _lot_ of those.

I went so far as to manufacture a series of characters that would
implicate themselves in serious violations of technical arguability
(harrassment of other players (always one of the other admin's unlisted
 characters) or general assholeness) and then publicly subject my false
vilian to the harshest implementation of the penalties. I would stage one
of these trials about once every month. I rarely had to run the real
thing.

:I've mixed motivations about automated player-monitoring code.  I've
:never come across any that is really effective, and there will
:_always_ be players who try to circumvent it.  In this area, I tend
:to count on the players to bring things to the admininistration's
:attention.  If there is a body of players that feels there is a
:problem, then action can be taken, rules made, precedents set, etc.
:There is never enough time to have the admin's continually policing
:the players, so I think some of the responsibility rests with the
:players themselves.  This has the added benefit of often
:automatically creating rules deemed necessary.

I did allow for a player to log a certain quota of info on account, so
that a witnessed violation or questionable behavior could be given in
unforgable form to the admins. This will also be added to Sing2. The
option of logging all actions of a suspected transgressor will also
remain. These logs will be only applied after a warning, however, and will
be detectable by players.

  /_  / / ) /_  /_) / ) /| /| / /\            First Light of a Nova Dawn
 /   / / \ /_  /_) / \ /-|/ |/ /_/            Final Night of a World Gone
Nathan F. Yospe - University of Hawaii Dept of Physics - yospe at hawaii.edu