[MUD-Dev] RP=MUSH/PG=MUD

Caliban Tiresias Darklock caliban at darklock.com
Thu Jun 26 08:23:31 CEST 1997

On Wed, 25 Jun 1997 21:46:32 PST8PDT, "Jon A. Lambert"
<jlsysinc at ix.netcom.com> wrote:

>> From: Caliban Tiresias Darklock <caliban at darklock.com>
>>
>> The level-based system
>> carries with it the associated idea that if a person is class X and
>> level Y, that's all you need to save -- class and level will determine
>> his abilities just fine.
>
>[snipped rest of levels discussion]
>
>I'm a big fan of levels.  The problem with me using the term is that
>it contains all of the assumptions you made.  But my representation,
>use and effects on the game-play are completely different than what
>is assumed.  I just can't think of a better terminology for it.

It sounds to me like you're actually using levels in combination with
some other elements, rather than JUST levels as I was discussing.
Perhaps I should have called it:

	Pure levels in the absence of any and all other information
	pertaining to the skills and abilities of the character

Somehow, I don't find the idea of typing that repeatedly very appealing.

I *did* say there was an infinite middle ground, which is apparently
where you are. Somewhere between 'famous potatoes' and 'live free or
die', the truth lies.

 I am here to grind your eyes harder into the miasmic bile of life; to
 show you the truth and the beauty in the whisper of steel on silk and
 the crimson scent of blood as it rises to meet the caress of a blade.