[MUD-Dev] non pk dealing with conflicts

Marian Griffith gryphon at iaehv.nl
Wed Jun 25 19:28:28 CEST 1997

On Wed 25 Jun, Matt Chatterley wrote:
> On Wed, 25 Jun 1997, Alex Oren wrote:

> A player might think that a small punishment for a small infraction is
> completely unjust, and launch on a 'whine campaign' (disregarding the
> usenet-whining we see - it has no real effect IMHO), on the mud itself (I
> mean actually online, not aimed at it), which in turn brings us to more
> infractions and eventually the rid/banning of that player (I've seen this
> particularly destructive vicious circle in action many times).

I'm particularly fond of the solution I've seen only once (and on a game
that never took off due to problems with the computer).  It had only one
fixed rule: Do not harass other players. And a couple of examples (!) of
what was considered harassment.  They had only one rule for dealing with
conflicts. When there was a complaint all sides involved were transed to
a courtroom.  There the players got a last chance to settle their diffe-
rences. Only one of the arguing parties would return to the game and the
other character was deleted. It was a harsh way of dealing with problems
but it tended to keep troublemakers AND whiners under control. <gr>
Of course in reality they never dealt with things quite so harsh as they
promised but it definitely was a way to prevent a lot of trouble.

Marian
will there be loneliness ...

Rolan Choosing Talia,
Arrows of the Queen, by Mercedes Lackey