[MUD-Dev] RP=MUSH/PG=MUD

clawrenc at cup.hp.com clawrenc at cup.hp.com
Wed Jun 25 12:23:39 CEST 1997

In <33b402aa.111943171 at relay.mnsinc.com>, on 06/20/97
   at 07:13 PM, caliban at darklock.com (Caliban Tiresias Darklock) said:

>But we're not discussing ways to make the game more
>accessible to a wider variety of users. I think that's a pretty big
>mistake.

cf The Telnet NOW! campaign and the ever long r.g.m.a thread that
spawned it.

Some of the list members (such as myself) are far more interested in
server principles and server design questions than we are in user
interface.  While I'll admit its importance, I just don't find it
interesting, so I tend to ignore it.

A good side comparison and thread here would be the use and game
support for general purpose clients like TinTin++, TinyFugue etc, and
the use and game support for special purpose clients like the various
Java creations rapidly springing up.

Side comment: I view any game which can be profitably automated by a
client as fundamentally flawed as a design.  This encludes things like
speed walks, triggers, and the like.

An interesting point here is viewing the programmability and base OO
support of the Java VM as the programmable client side of a general
purpose prgrammable network server <kof> ala MOO, ColdX, etc.  How
about a Java client which is equally, if not identically programmable
to the base server it connects to, can be extended and re-defined in
exactly the same ways, wich automagically mutates its behaviours in
accordance with the characteristics of the game the server it connects
to is representing?

  Programmable server <==> Equally programmable client.

It would quickly lead to a symbiotic relationship I suspect.

J C Lawrence                           Internet: claw at null.net
(Contractor)                           Internet: coder at ibm.net
---------------(*)               Internet: clawrenc at cup.hp.com