[MUD-Dev] Alright... IF your gonan do DESIESE...

Brandon J. Rickman ashes at pc4.zennet.com
Tue Jun 24 19:33:36 CEST 1997

Nathan Yospe <yospe at hawaii.edu> recently wrote:
>:Now the shopkeeper heard the Humperdink and elderly lady bit and
>:chalks that up as a rumor which he can pass on to as many people as
>:he wants to (a rumor juiciness factor comes to mind).  However, the
>:bit about the china and flatware would make a pretty shoddy rumor,
>:IMO, and the intent is to have NPC passers-by disregard things like
>:that.  I cannot, however, think of how an NPC would distinguish the
>:two.

>:Thoughts?

>Fully functional AI?

I once wrote a MU* that had a fully functional AI.  All the mobs were also
tied into a natural language generator that could output in 6 or 7 (I forget
how many) real languages.  All high elves could speak in both Common
(American English) and High Elven, which was based on a dialect of Japanese
spoken on only a few islands until the late 1800's.

Funny you should mention it, one of the cool features of the MU* was that
players could actually buy monogrammed linen and China for their characters.
This was, of course, just a part of the complete political-social
simulation, where a character's social status was indicated by the number
of silver serving spoons they owned.

The MU* never opened because the machine it was running on "crashed".  Later
I found out the guy who owned the server had just stolen all our code and
had lied to me, so I sued him.  I would've gotten the code back but the guy
was arrested by the FBI (something about exporting RSA encryption to
communist countries) and they took all of his equipment, including the machine
with my code on it!

Fortunately I have a hardcopy backup of everything and about 60 pages of
documentation in a cardboard box I have stored in a friend's garage who lives
in Salt Lake City, Utah.

---

Oops, I thought this was rec.games.mud.admin! :)

- BR