[MUD-Dev] RP=MUSH/PG=MUD

clawrenc at cup.hp.com clawrenc at cup.hp.com
Tue Jun 24 16:44:13 CEST 1997

In <199706191022.DAA17861 at user2.inficad.com>, on 06/19/97
   at 08:35 PM, Adam Wiggins <nightfall at inficad.com> said:

>Ah, I see your confusion now.  Let me clarify for you.
>No one actually cares about any existing mud servers, except for
>passing references - 'Tiny does this, but not very well' or 'LP does
>this, but I don't have any desire to take it that far'.  Most
>everyone here is either writing their own codebase from scratch, or
>interested in completely new kinds of muds.  Therefore, of what use
>to us is prattling on about why thus-and-such codebase sucks, and why
>thus-and-such codebase rules?

While this is/was true of most of the early list members, its not so
true any more.  I'd like to see a balance here between from-raw
development with only passing reference paid to the current
implementations to full-blown take-what-we've-got and
piece-it-together-and-make-something-better attempts.

I'm hoping (vainly?) for some sort of gestaltic combination to occur
here where each side feeds off the ideas and developments of the
others.

As one of the members here commented to me privately, this list is in
danger of assuming an orthodoxy.  For instance most of us dislike
levels in MUDs, to the point that it has become almost assumed as 'the
list's view'.  Suffice to say that many players *really* like levels
for whatever reason.  As happens I also know that more than one member
here is also a big levels fan.  I don't want these sorts of assumed
orthodoxies.  They're not good and they're not productive.  They need
to be questioned, and beat upon, and hashed over, and done, and
redone, and re-interpreted till the cows come home.

J C Lawrence                           Internet: claw at null.net
(Contractor)                           Internet: coder at ibm.net
---------------(*)               Internet: clawrenc at cup.hp.com