[MUD-Dev] Life

clawrenc at cup.hp.com clawrenc at cup.hp.com
Tue Jun 24 16:30:30 CEST 1997

In <Pine.GSO.3.96.970619110152.16341D-100000 at dryslwyn>, on 06/19/97
   at 08:35 PM, Martin Keegan <martin at cam.sri.com> said:

>On Wed, 18 Jun 1997 clawrenc at cup.hp.com wrote:

>>   Bubba of house X got special object Y.
>>
>>   Therefore it is reasonable for Boffo of house X to later have
>>     Y despite being a newbie.
>>
>> How about abilities gamed by players?  Did they cross reflect to other
>> members of the house?  I can also see this forming the basis of more
>> interesting clan and political battles.

>YES! The clan stuff gets interesting. Running more than one house
>will be disallowed, but if a house takes a newbie under its wing, and
>the newbie starts to grow strong, he may eventually take over the
>house when its original player leaves.

I can also see a lot of interest value if you allow houses to recruit
other players to be members of their house.  You then, by extension,
almost get the concept of a house as clan, with player characters as
actively sought after and even contested resource for houses.

This also opens the interesting spectre of a player character being a
member of two houses, or even an honourary member of non-primary
houses.  Add small doses of treachery, treason, and betrayal
(guaranteed with human players, but also easy to stir up) and you have
the beginnings of a real political system.

>>   "I may die now, but I do so for for my House, and they shall
>> benefit!"
>>
>>   "All for the glory of house Agueface!"
>>
>>   "Kill the Keegans!"
>>
>>   "House Burp and House Grunt have joined forces against House Gas."

>You've got the picture. BTW, Kill the Keegans was actually the name
>of a VB game written in 1994 by someone who didn't like me much.

Yup.  I played it back when my then SO (she of the very short
downtime) ran a Windows hawking BBS.

J C Lawrence                           Internet: claw at null.net
(Contractor)                           Internet: coder at ibm.net
---------------(*)               Internet: clawrenc at cup.hp.com