[MUD-Dev] Life

clawrenc at cup.hp.com clawrenc at cup.hp.com
Tue Jun 24 16:08:11 CEST 1997

In <33aa6185.53980500 at relay.mnsinc.com>, on 06/18/97
   at 09:27 PM, caliban at darklock.com (Caliban Tiresias Darklock) said:

>I was just looking at this, and it occurred to me that this is just
>the sort of thing that we should be encouraging. I mean, if system X
>has a feature that works, why reinvent? You might recode it for
>efficiency and understanding, but really there's a lot of great
>talent out there doing a lot of great stuff, and there's just no good
>reason to waste all of it.

Agreed.  The MUD server field, like most fields, is cyclic.  It goes
thru periods of wild expansion followed by periods of compression and
integration.  I see the MUD server field as currently going thru a
period of integration.  We had the great diaspora when the field
started and new types of servers appeared like wild fire and the
technology advanced at a rapid rate.  That process has largely ceased
and much of the attention is now on integrating the advances made in
various quarters into once server.  We can see a lot of that process
in the list.  There won't be another great flowering until the field
finds cause to re-invent itself.

The other side of course are the seeds that will form the core or
possibly the impetus for the next diaspora.  That faction is also
represented on the list as well as providing some of the, err, core
disagreements seen on the list.  Integrators and big ideas people
don't often see eye to eye.

J C Lawrence                           Internet: claw at null.net
(Contractor)                           Internet: coder at ibm.net
---------------(*)               Internet: clawrenc at cup.hp.com