[MUD-Dev] Rumours

Adam Wiggins nightfall at user2.inficad.com
Tue Jun 24 08:20:53 CEST 1997

[Marian, on rumors:]
> that.  A relation between two famous people is just as interesting as
> a relation of one famous person with somebody unknown.  (e.g. the ru-
> mours about Hugh Grant  after he was caught with a prostitute and the
> persistent rumours about Michael Jackson).

Well, in particular 'taboo' or 'perverse' (as defined by a given society)
things tend to be quite rumor-worthy - in this case, a famous, married
pretty-boy receiving oral sex from a prostitute and a famous man and
various reports of pedophelia.  What this may be varies by society, and
that's where things could get interesting.  Inter-racial relationships
on a mud with diverse races, and the more diverse the races, the more
interesting.  Members of political factions falling in love - Romeo
and Juliette.  People of two vastly different ages, or poligamy are always
of interest as well.
This brings up the topic of unspoken rumors - 'I saw John the Mayor talking
to Jane the Mafia Boss!'  This is pretty easy to implement, since you
don't have to parse speach.

> To make the whole thing work  you probably need to have  rumours fade
> with time, or if they go round they won't get passed on again, unless
> they are really, really, juicy. Further should each inhabitant of the
> city have a choice of not further passing on the rumour (i.e. not be-
> lieving the rumour)  but this should be in relation to  the juiciness
> of the rumour and it's believability.  If you want to do it right you

Well, I'd think that it would tend to dead-end once everyone had heard it.
Rumors are only interesting the first time, in most cases.  Thus: