[MUD-Dev] Alright... IF your gonan do DESIESE...

Matt Chatterley root at mpc.dyn.ml.org
Mon Jun 23 18:07:38 CEST 1997

On Mon, 23 Jun 1997, Alex Oren wrote:
> Matt wrote:
>
> } I'm working on tying a reputation system into gameplay on caffeine
> } (something like the idea of alignment) - it depicts notoriety (is that
> } spelt right or not, I have no dictionary to hand), and a few other minor
> } issues. It's modified negatively for being *caught* and *judged* for
> } commiting a crime (your reputation doesnt suffer if you evade capture),
> } and positively for completing a quest, which the public hear about and
> } appreciate your efforts in (also negatively if the quest does them harm,
> } for instance collecting taxes for an evil sherrif).
> }
> } Whether it is + or -, once the number is high (using the concept that -10
> } is MORE negative than -5, and thus a higher negative number) enough,
> } people begin to hear of you outside the area where you are doing these
> } deeds (it's stored by place you do stuff.. with a global total which rises
> } VERY slowly), and will treat you asuch. Slighly negative reputation -
> } they'll be nasty to you if they're good folk, very negative, and they
> } might fear you, and be somewhat subservient. It's all about power.
>
> Interesting.  Although it doesn't have to be "all about power".  There can be
> several issues that the system can keep track of (good/evil, lier/trustworthy,
> etc.)

Being a tad cynical, I'd dispute that everything comes down to power in
the end, although, given the game context, not necessarily in an obvious
way. This kind of system is intended to contain the various things you
allude to in a nutshell, theres no reason why it can't happily be expanded
outwards, true. Some of the things you mention here are definitely things
I intend to apply it to; just it's kept general: You either have a good
rep, a bad rep, or nobody cares, while at the same time, you are either
unknown, or known to varying degrees.

> The reputation system can be integrated with other ideas that were discussed on
> this list, such as rumor propagation and law-enforcing mobiles.

Absolutely. I've been inspired both by here, and other sources, to include
such things (with enough complexity that the system stands on it's own to
enforce itself), and the 'reputation' thing above will play a part. So
will your standing (commoner.. noble.. etc). No judge will really want to
upset a noble (nobility here is associated with owning land, and thus
having some force of men behind you.. back to the power issue).

As a side note, if a noble *were* upset with the system, and had enough
men, the game is to be setup asuch that he could quite conceivably attack
the city or town with his army.

> Consider:
>
> A newbie logs into the MUD, approaches Bubba and asks him a question.
> Bubba grins evilly and beheads the hapless newbie.
> This was "witnessed" by a beggar mobile, who gets up and heads to the police
> station.  En route, he passes near a fishmonger mobile and passes the rumor.
> Meanwhile, Bubba runs to the police station, ambushes the beggar and kills him.
> Unfortunately, a city-guard (too tough for Bubba to handle) stopped at the fish
> stall, heard the rumor and is now entering the police station.
> A couple of hours later, a "wanted" poster with Bubba's description will be
> posted outside the station, offering a nice reward.  If Bubba's reputation was
> very bad, there will be a price on his head.

<g> This kinda of 'rumour tree' approach is a pretty gosh durned good way
to go at it.

> Makes for a nice system for policing PK.

Yes. However, my personal problems with PK (see: integrating PK thread)
are when people run about, kill several (newbies?) and then bugger off for
good, having had their fun. No punishment will really effect them (because
they don't care about the character).

> Apart from rumors and "wanted" lists there are other possibilities:
>
> * Bards singing the praise of Boffo the dragonslayer of Biffy the newbie
>   protector.

Yup. And even distorted rumours, or tales of great deeds becoming
legendary. It'd be pretty great to be a PC in foreign lands, hear a bard
singing about some great guy who saved a town.. then realise he's singing
about YOU!

> * Guild quests centered on reputation.  "Go forth an bring me the left ear of
>   the most evil person in Ankh-Morpork" (which may be a mobile or a player at
>   the time).

<g> thats cruel. :)

> * Deliberately spreading false rumors.  "I saw Humperdink kill two dragons and
>   an elderly lady!" (which may mark you as a liar if you are caught, depending
>   on the trustworthiness attribute of the challenger).
>
> * Tour guides.
>   Newbies could hire tour guides that will show them around the city and explain
>
>   the various prominent features.  "Now here is the temple of the gods of
>   Lankhmar, you *don't* want to go there...  Oh, wait!  See the guy walking
>   across the street?  He is the famous Fafhrd, who killed two dragons and an
>   elderly lady!"

I especially like this latter - a guide who actually gives more than a
robotic tour!

> * Changing character description based on their reputation, skills and
>   attributes:
>
> Bubba arrives.
> > look at Bubba.
> Bubba is a tall, dark-haired male with brown eyes. [player chosen description]
> He is wearing elven chainmail over a soiled tunic and wields a longsword.
> He has a tatoo of an octopus on his right forearm. [guild membership?]
> He looks quite strong but a bit clumsy.  [attributes, perceptance check?]
> He has a sadistic twinkle in his eye that makes you uncomfortable. [reputation,
> alignment]

Perhaps. I've not given much thought to this. :)

Regards,
	-Matt Chatterley
	http://user.itl.net/~neddy/index.html
"He can't stop us, we're on a mission from Glod!" - Soul Music (Pratchett)