[MUD-Dev] The Difference between..

Adam Wiggins nightfall at user1.inficad.com
Sun Jun 22 20:42:19 CEST 1997

[Jeff K:]
> Roll playing and Rule playing...
>
> GM: Awfulness the Evilone waves his arms, a glow emanates from his
> fingertips and around him the trees and shrubs wither and die, as you watch
> the entire graveyard picks up the glow and comes alive as the dead crawl
> out of their crypts. One spots you and croaks "BRAAAAIIINSS"!
>
> Joe Roleplayer: COOL! I scream and hide behind the cleric shouting "cast
> protection from evil!!"
>
> John Ruleplayer: (Furiously thumbing through the rulebook) "What spell is
> that? I don't see that anywhere..."
>
> 'nuff said

Just looking for more chances to stir up controversey, Jeff?
Anyhow, I'd say it would be more accurate to state it like this:

GM: <see above>

Joe Roleplay: Acht!  T'is the most gruesome thing I've seen since my
encounter with the undead beholder oh so long ago!  Friend Cleric - call
upon your god to help us in this time of need!

John Ruleplay: I don't have any more protection from evils mem'ed, dude.
I told you we should have spent another night camped outside before we
came in.

Since ruleplayers delight in intense knowledge of the 'system', I hardly
think they would get caught thumbing through a rulebook in the midst of
gameplay.  Possibly the best analogy would be a thespian for the roleplayer
and a retired army general for the ruleplayer.