[MUD-Dev] RP=MUSH/PG=MUD

Adam Wiggins nightfall at inficad.com
Thu Jun 19 03:22:17 CEST 1997

[Caliban:]
> Actually, it doesn't get around anything, because none of THESE people
> want to be associated with any of THOSE people and none of THOSE people
> want to be associated with any of THESE people. So when you lump them

Yes, I'd say this is the heart of the matter.  Personally, I don't
care, and I need a term to be able to refer to everything that we
talk about on this list, and that term is 'mud'.  It's short, and it's
also in the title for the list itself, therefore, I find it completely
appropriate.

> years of roleplaying doesn't, either. I don't know the architectural
> difference between TurdMUD and CrapMUD, so I must be totally clueless. I
> wonder where people get off accusing *me* of bigotry.

Ah, I see your confusion now.  Let me clarify for you.
No one actually cares about any existing mud servers, except for
passing references - 'Tiny does this, but not very well' or 'LP does
this, but I don't have any desire to take it that far'.  Most everyone
here is either writing their own codebase from scratch, or interested
in completely new kinds of muds.  Therefore, of what use to us is
prattling on about why thus-and-such codebase sucks, and why thus-and-such
codebase rules?