[MUD-Dev] Life

Caliban Tiresias Darklock caliban at darklock.com
Wed Jun 18 04:20:12 CEST 1997

On Tue, 17 Jun 1997 20:43:02 PST8PDT, Martin Keegan <martin at cam.sri.com>
wrote:

>On Fri, 6 Jun 1997, Adam Wiggins wrote:
>
>> I take heat from all quarters.  The 'true' role-players I show my mud
>> to say, 'Ew!  Feature <X> reminds me of LP!'  The diku players say, 'Ew!
>> Feature <Y> looks like something from a MUX!'  The LP players say, 'Ew!
>> Feature <Z> seems like a diku thing of some sort!'  I tried explaining
>
>Yes - this is exasperating. I banned a whole country from Island when
>someone accused me of lying about what "mudlib" Island was.

I was just looking at this, and it occurred to me that this is just the
sort of thing that we should be encouraging. I mean, if system X has a
feature that works, why reinvent? You might recode it for efficiency and
understanding, but really there's a lot of great talent out there doing
a lot of great stuff, and there's just no good reason to waste all of
it.

 I am here to grind your eyes harder into the miasmic bile of life; to
 show you the truth and the beauty in the whisper of steel on silk and
 the crimson scent of blood as it rises to meet the caress of a blade.