Room-based vs. coordinate-based

S001GMU at nova.wright.edu S001GMU at nova.wright.edu
Sun Jun 15 18:29:14 CEST 1997

Date: Fri, 13 Jun 1997 19:21:15 +0000 (PST8PDT)
From: clawrenc at cup.hp.com

>In <01IK0ROHGSBM90PQJB at nova.wright.edu>, on 06/13/97
>   at 09:29 AM, S001GMU at nova.wright.edu said:
>
>[Shoehorn, 2 people and 15 tiny objects.... ]
>
>>I'd be tempted to add a scale to each neighborhood.  The scale would
>>be a range of object sizes allowable within that neighborhood.
>>anything too big or two small gets shuffled into a neighborhood of
>>the appropriate scale, creating a new one if none exists.
>>Neighborhoods of differing scale can overlap eachother with no real
>>problems.
>
>The problem is that scale does not denote suitability for receiving a
>message.  Should the player currently inhabiting the body of a flea
>not receive the mesage while the troll he's biting will receive the
>message?

A tiny creature has a vastly different range of vision from a giant creature
(in general... yes I know there are exceptions on both sides).  A flea on
the rabbit that got pulled out of the hat may only know that suddenly it is
light out rather than dark, and a dragon in the next room may not even notice
that those puny mortals are doing much of anything.  What you see is entirely
a matter of scale.

>I don't see that scale offers a value here.

I disagree.  :)

>>Are there any glaring problems with that?  I've had some difficulty
>>following exactly what you guys are talking about, but that probably
>>stems from not really reading the first couple of messages too
>>thuroughly. Will have ot go back and re-read those.  ;)
>
>Marian asked a similar question.  I'll attempt to recap later today or
>tomorrow.

Thanks.  :)

-Greg