[MUD-Dev] Room-based vs. coordinate-based

clawrenc at cup.hp.com clawrenc at cup.hp.com
Fri Jun 13 12:21:20 CEST 1997

In <01IK0ROHGSBM90PQJB at nova.wright.edu>, on 06/13/97
   at 09:29 AM, S001GMU at nova.wright.edu said:

>From: clawrenc at cup.hp.com

>>Change the scenario to:
>>
>>  Shoehorn is in a room,
>>  There are two other players A and B in the room as well.
>>  A is near shoehorn.
>>  B is some distance away.
>>  There are also 15 tiny or invisible objects in the room
>>    near shoehorn (lint ball, a dropped cherry stone, etc).
>>  The extra objects create the following neighborhoods:
>>
>>    #1{Shoehorn,...A}
>>    #2{A,...B}
>>
>>  Shoehorn pulls a rabbit out of his hat.
>>  The rabbit is too distant to be a member of #2.
>>  #1 is too full to add the rabbit, resulting in:
>>
>>    #1{Shoehorn,...A}
>>    #2{A,...B}
>>    #3{Shoehorn, rabbit}
>>
>>All the objects tiny, invisible, A, B, etc should see Shoehorn pull
>>out the rabbit.  As far as A & B are concerned, it is the only thing
>>happening in the room, and as such is not drowned in detail (or 50M
>>rabbits).

>I'd be tempted to add a scale to each neighborhood.  The scale would
>be a range of object sizes allowable within that neighborhood.
>anything too big or two small gets shuffled into a neighborhood of
>the appropriate scale, creating a new one if none exists.
>Neighborhoods of differing scale can overlap eachother with no real
>problems.

The problem is that scale does not denote suitability for receiving a
message.  Should the player currently inhabiting the body of a flea
not receive the mesage while the troll he's biting will receive the
message?

I don't see that scale offers a value here.

>Are there any glaring problems with that?  I've had some difficulty
>following exactly what you guys are talking about, but that probably
>stems from not really reading the first couple of messages too
>thuroughly. Will have ot go back and re-read those.  ;)

Marian asked a similar question.  I'll attempt to recap later today or
tomorrow.

J C Lawrence                           Internet: claw at null.net
(Contractor)                           Internet: coder at ibm.net
---------------(*)               Internet: clawrenc at cup.hp.com