[MUD-Dev] Genuinely brief intro

Koster Koster
Wed Jun 11 12:03:25 CEST 1997

On Wednesday, June 11, 1997 4:07 AM, Dr. Cat[SMTP:cat at eden.com]
wrote:

> If this sort of thing is a problem for a lot of the people on the
list, I
> could just leave.  I have more than enough ideas to keep me busy
> implementing stuff for the next few years just trying to implement
them
> all in code, and I always think up new ones faster than I can get
the old
> ones done.
>
> I guess the trick is in picking which ones to do first.
>

>         -- Dr. Cat

Absolutely, and I couldn't agree more with Dr. Cat that ideas are
cheap. Some ideas, granted, have more substance than others, and thus
are less cheap, perhaps. But in general, ideas are cheap, specific
design methods are less so (and probably the cut-off point for those
of us discussing specific implementations of our work in a
professional arena) and implementations themselves are very expensive,
and where the real value lies. (This is often a difficult thing for
those who have the ideas to accept...)

"Let's have an active battlefield!" - cheap.

"Let's have an active battlefield that works on neural net tech in
this manner! [insert 30 pages of documentation]" - actually worth
something, and OUGHT to be the bread and butter of this list, except
that some of us have non-disclosure agreements on such things :)

"Here's code for an active battlefield that works on neural net tech!"
- we don't want something of this magnitude on a list anyway, we want
it on an FTP site.

I think those of us who work in commercial development of muds,
graphical or otherwise, all know quite well where the boundaries lie
for this sort of thing; I have no problem with our esteemed
list-owner's restrictions, nor do I think that this issue will BE an
issue, really.

FWIW, I don't know of a game company on the planet that wouldn't laugh
in the face of someone who only had an idea, with no development or
proof-ofo-concept behind it...

-Raph (not Ralf, please! :P)