[MUD-Dev] over the shoudler view

Jeff Kesselman jeffk at tenetwork.com
Thu Jun 5 21:55:17 CEST 1997

At 07:37 PM 6/5/97 PST8PDT, you wrote:
>Kinda like Tombraider?  Would be a sure fire hit.  Multiplayer Tombraider.
>Makers of Tombraider kept going on about how advance their code to deal
>with getting a good view was.

Yep, you got  a GREAT view of her ass most of the time...

Seriosuly, I like TR, I think it was a good attempt, but the camera
algorthyms still need work.  Its the other extreme from the fixed camera..
the TR camer a is ALWAYS swooping all over the palce.,  Frankly its too
much motion-- makes it look like William Shatner directed it 9those who
follow the Star Trekk movies will understand.)

I tihnk they need some film-trained cameramen and or directors to discuss
with them what a camera does in a  movie.. (a well directed and
ciematographed one that is).

>An advantage of "over the shoulder" is that some basic peripheral
>vision is given to the player.  Anyway, I prefer this one.  The
>specifications of the average monitor makes first person seem like you're

Yep, this is what I meant by "environmebntal awareness", but ist not as
good as a more diastant 3/4 view or an overhead gives you, or even as much
as a side view gives you. Its kinda a comrpomise before full 1st eprson POV.

JK