[MUD-Dev] The Lessons of Lucasfilm's Habitat

Ling K.L.Lo-94 at student.lut.ac.uk
Thu Jun 5 17:13:43 CEST 1997

On Thu, 5 Jun 1997, Jeff Kesselman wrote:

> At 08:24 PM 6/4/97 PST8PDT, JC Lawrence wrote:
> >>We've looekd at this exhaustively. Our conclusions are as follows,
> >>for what theya re worth:
> >>(1) 1st person (Doom) ...
> >>(2) Overhead/three-quarter view (Diablo) ...
> >>(3) Side View ...
> >
> >I've been thinking of attempting a
> >three-feet-back-of-the-character's-head view with a 270 degree
> >fish-eye presentation.
>
> Yeah I forgot to mention that. Its what I call "over the shoulder" (can you
> tell I spent some time in a TV studio?)
>
> Its not the logicly distinct, i think from 3/4 view, main difference being
> that you need to deal with perspective effects and don't have as good a
> field of view. I guess its another half-way thing, btw 3/4 and first person.

Kinda like Tombraider?  Would be a sure fire hit.  Multiplayer Tombraider.
Makers of Tombraider kept going on about how advance their code to deal
with getting a good view was.  Could make the characters wireframes or
turn into wireframes when appropriate.

An advantage of "over the shoulder" is that some basic peripheral
vision is given to the player.  Anyway, I prefer this one.  The
specifications of the average monitor makes first person seem like you're
controlling Johnny 9 from Short Circuit.  Diablo style...  Never liked
this "fly on the wall" view, limited range.

  |    Ling
_O_O_  Freshwater fish since 1976