[MUD-Dev] Taming free PK

Adam Wiggins nightfall at inficad.com
Wed Jun 4 07:14:11 CEST 1997

> > non-RPers are regular players bound to their bodies and whatever
> > self-rule evolves.  The only way to become one of the RP souls is
> > to apply (and thereby be screened for trust/maturity) after a certain
> > amount of time played.  Any situation escaping whatever system
> > of player law, can be affected indirectly by the gods, who can place
> > high bounties in certain scum hives or post Wanted posters on the
> > NPC law boards.
>
> This might work to mix both extremes of playing style  in a single game
> though I'm afraid some enterprising players will find ways to abuse the
> system.

I'm still curious how one can 'absuse' the system if, like Chris is
suggesting, there are no rules of conduct whatsoever.  Therefore, the
only possibly 'abuse' of the system I can think of is making use of actual
bugs in the code, which theoretically are far enough between to be a
smallish problem.

> In the end the job of policing the game still comes down to the
> imms, and I fail to see where allowing players to kill each other under
> the pretense of justice makes any difference.

I've never seen a self-policing game that didn't work.  Some might have
been either more or less bloodthirsty than I wanted, but the games
themselves were playable.